You’ve invested in newer and healthier skin with Potenza RF Microneedling at Rebel Med NW. By now, you’ve met with your provider and understand that a therapeutic relationship at Rebel Med is an investment in you and your health. Take a moment to review the following guidelines in preparation for your upcoming treatment, or as you recover from treatment. Following our guidelines will provide you with the best results!
Pre-Care / Pre-Treatment Guidelines
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Radiofrequency is attracted to water in and around cells. For the most effective treatment, drink ½ of your body weight in ounces for 1 week prior to treatment
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours before treatment
- Discontinue high doses of aspirin
- Discontinue all active, exfoliative ingredients of skincare (retinol, AHA/BHA, vitamin c) and self-tanner at least 5-7 days prior to treatment
- Arrive at the clinic with no makeup and a clean face
- Leave all jewelry at home as you will be asked to remove it before treatment
- Shave visible hair from the treatment area, male beards should be shaved on the day of treatment
Aftercare / Post Treatment Guidelines
You may observe the following temporary skin responses post treatment, such as (but not limited to) the following:
- Tightness or mild heat – similar to a “sunburn” sensation
- Mild swelling, redness
- A grid like pattern with dry or mild crusting, itchiness
- Dryness, flaking
- Acne breakout or purging, as the RF delivers heat deep into the skin that can cause inflammation or edema. This is normal and should resolve within 1-2 weeks.
During the first 24 hours
- Do not use a facial cleanser today, you can wash your face with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Do not apply oil-based lotions until the redness and swelling/heat reduces.
- Applying soothing aloe vera or hyaluronic acid can help to reduce redness and dryness. You can use a cool compress at home if you are experiencing any discomfort, use a clean barrier between the skin and a cold pack to protect the skin.
- No make-up application today.
- Stay out of the sun, and use a sun hat if needed.
- No sweating: Avoid exercises or activities that increase body temperature (high-intensity exercise, sauna, hot tubs, steam showers) as sweat can irritate the face.
- Use a clean pillowcase.
- Make sure eyeglasses, or anything else worn on the face is clean. Use alcohol wipe for glasses.
Call the clinic if you experience: rash, itching, redness etc for more than 24 hours
- Resume your normal routine: gentle cleanser, moisturizer (oil-free), and sunscreen every day.
- Use mineral sunscreen > 30 SPF UV A/B daily and a hat if exposed to the sun in the next week.
- After the redness and heat have reduced, you can apply moisturizer to hydrate skin and decrease tightness or dryness.
- Avoid active skincare (alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA), beta hydroxyl acids (BHA), Vitamin C, retinol), skin scrubs/exfoliants, and self-tanner for the next 5-7 days.
- We recommend trying to avoid application for 48 hours post-treatment. However, makeup can be resumed 24 hours after and we recommend mineral makeup. Be sure to apply makeup with clean brushes to avoid spreading bacteria from the treatment area.
- Do not pick at the treated area if you see flaking or peeling of the skin (a result of increased skin turnover), as this can cause hypo or hyperpigmentation. Allow the old skin to naturally flake off and keep skin moisturized at all times.
Remember to schedule your next appointment in 4-6 weeks
Other nutrient considerations for optimize skin healing
- Collagen – bone broths, collagen supplements
- Vitamin C – fresh pineapple, bell peppers
- Omega 3 sources – salmon, flax and chia seeds, avocados, walnuts
- Decrease inflammatory foods – dairy, wheat, simple refined sugar, alcohol
- Anti-oxidants – eat the colors of the rainbow with a variety of different colored fruits and vegetables
- Water, water, water!